With no trips planned right now, I’ve been thinking a lot about the travel I’ve missed out on this year. I have a goal to visit a new country every year, and did pretty well on that until 2020. I visited Spain in 2016, Switzerland in 2017, Germany in 2018, Denmark and Iceland in 2019, and was supposed to go to France in 2020 but ended up cancelling that trip due to COVID.
There are a number of new places I want to visit, but also several I want to return to. Here’s my travel bucket list for the next 5 years.
- Denmark. I fell IN LOVE with Copenhagen after visiting for a few days post-2019 Berlin Marathon. One of the biggest attractions I missed was Tivoli, one of the world’s oldest amusement parks. Aside from the beautiful architecture and history, I fell in love with Denmark’s atmosphere and how friendly the people were. Easily the top of my list and first place I want to travel to post-pandemic.
- Switzerland. Similarly to Denmark, I quickly fell in love with Switzerland when I visited in 2018. Unfortunately, my 2018 trip was pretty short and I wasn’t able to see much. In my next visit, I’m hoping to stay in Geneva and Lucerne in addition to Zurich. Pro tip, check out videos from How to Switzerland for Swiss travel tips.
- Iceland. It’s wild to think I decided to visit Iceland in JANUARY, when it was SO COLD. I was hoping to get a glimpse of the Northern Lights, but it was snowy and cloudy the entirety of my trip. Iceland will stay on my bucket list until I’m able to see those damn beautiful lights!
- Peru. For those who don’t know, my maternal family is from Peru. I visited once as a child, but haven’t been back since and it stays at the top of my list until I can go again. In the meanwhile, I’ve been learning Spanish on Duolingo (I even mentioned it in my last What’s on My Mind) to hopefully become fluent by the time I visit again.
- England. In my quest to complete the Abbott 6 World Major Marathons, I have to visit England to run the London Marathon. Fun fact, London is the only European race I haven’t run yet (out of 2, but who’s counting).
- Norway. The other half of my ethnic background is English and Norwegian. I’ve visited England (and already have it on my list to visit because of running), but I’ve never had an opportunity to visit Norway. My sister and I recently started Duolingo in Norwegian to prepare for the inevitable trip to Norway sometime in the hopefully not so distant future.
- France. While many people want to visit France for the romance of Paris, my desires to visit are more aligned to architecture and history. France plays a pivotal role in world history and there are so many historical sites to visit (a la Versailles).
- Japan. The last international stop for the 6 World Major Marathons, and this list (for now), is Tokyo. To be honest, I never really had a large interest in visiting Japan until I started on the Marathon challenge. After researching the culture and community of Japan, I added it to the list for reasons outside of marathon travel. The combination of culture and technology in Tokyo adds to the excitement of visiting, and hopefully I’ll be able to soon!
There you have it – my current travel bucket list. What’s on your travel bucket list? Let us know in the comments, and don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter for more Paint the House Pink content!