Y’all. I’m about to share a big family secret with you. My Peruvian grandmother makes this amazing beer chicken with red sauce (pollo con cerveza) every time I visit her. A few years ago, I watched her make it and wrote down the recipe step by step. Today I’m sharing it with you! This is one of my favorite recipes to make any time of year. It’s one of those easy to put together recipes and it’s delicious.
A few tips/notes on this particular recipe:
- El Pato sauce is hard to explain but it’s basically spicy tomato sauce (I’ve found it at Target). You can use a whole can if you want to make the recipe spicer, but for most people I start with half a can.
- You don’t have to use chicken drumsticks. I’ve actually switched to making this with chicken thighs and it’s almost as good.
- The specific brand of beer doesn’t matter too much. I use Stella Artois because my grandmother did and Grandma knows best.
- Other things you can add to change up the flavor of this recipe: garlic or garlic powder, chili powder (to make it spicy)
Grandma Hope’s Beer Chicken
- 8-10 chicken legs/drumsticks
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 8 oz can el pato sauce
- 1/2 bottle beer
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 green bell peppers (sliced)
- 2 red bell peppers (sliced)
- 4 cup cooked white rice
- Trim skin and fat off of chicken drumsticks and toss with salt and pepper in bowl.
- In a large skillet, cook onions, more salt/pepper, and olive oil until slightly translucent.
- Add in chicken and brown on all sides, remove from skillet.
- Add in tomato sauce, el pato sauce, cumin, and beer into skillet and deglaze the bottom of the pan.
- When the tomato mixture begins to bubble slightly, add in chicken and cover. Cook for 15-25 mins.
- With 10 mins to go, add in the green and red bell peppers to finish cooking with the chicken.
- Set aside and rest for 5 mins. Reheat (or cook) the white rice.
- Serve chicken with beer/tomato sauce over white rice and garnish with cilantro
There you have it! If you make Grandma Hope’s beer chicken, tag us on instagram and let us know! Check out some of our other recipes here and sign up for our newsletter to be notified of all of our blog posts.