I’m going to say the same thing everyone has been saying for the last month and a half-the holidays are looking different this year. Greg, our parents, and I are quarantining at home for two weeks before Thanksgiving and Christmas so we can spend each holiday with one set of our parents. We’ve been pretty careful and are mostly isolating in general, but for these two weeks we’re being as strict as we were when we were in full lockdown. We’ll spend Thanksgiving with my parents, who live up the road from us, and then we’ll travel a few hours to his hometown for Christmas. We love listening to podcasts on the drive to pass the time, so if you’re traveling as well, here are some podcast recommendations!
- If you like following along with influencers sharing their lives: Young House Love Has a Podcast and the A Beautifull Mess podcast are both fun. Young House Love is a home decor and renovation blog run by a husband and wife pair named John and Sherry. They have an adorable dynamic, and I think their perspectives on family and being influencers are really refreshing. A Beautiful Mess is a DIY/decor blog run by two sisters, Elsie and Emma. They cover a bunch of random topics, and I always find it creatively inspiring.
- If you want to hear from more diverse interview subjects: In Sooo Many White Guys, Phoebe Robinson (who also hosts 2 Dope Queens) interviews guests who are (mostly) not white guys. It’s a great opportunity to hear from more diverse voices than a lot of other interview shows. It also prods issues about race, sexism, and LGBTQ rights, among others, so I feel like I’m hearing more than the standard responses a lot of celebrities give when they’re asked the same questions over and over again.
- If you’re interested in art and design: Two interview format podcasts I love are Design Time by Domino and More Than One Thing by Athena Calderone. Both podcasts feature hosts interviewing creative people about their work and lives. I love listening to creative people talk about creative things, so these are really inspiring and relaxing for me.
- If you like fashion: I recently discovered My Wardrobe Malfunction, which is hosted by one of the coaches of the British version of What Not to Wear, Suzannah Constantine. Suzannah interviews British celebrities to talk about their wardrobes and their wardrobe malfunctions. It’s fun if you like listening to people talk about clothes, which I do.
- For a heartfelt comedy podcast: One of my favorite podcasts of all time is By The Book. It’s about two women, Kristen Meinzer and Jolenta Greenberg, who read self-help books, follow them to the letter for two weeks, and then report on their experiences. It’s funny, a great Cliffs Notes version of a lot of popular self-help books, and really sincere.
- If you love the British royal family: Royally Obsessed breaks down the royal family news each week. It’s fun, gossipy pop culture at its finest.
- The absolute best podcast to pass the time: My favorite podcast to listen to with Greg when we’re driving is the Matt and Kim podcast. Matt and Kim are musicians (their band is called Matt and Kim-easy to remember), and they’ve been dating for years. The podcast is the two of them talking through random what-if and “would you rather” scenarios. We laugh so hard we cry. Major parental advisory on this one though: do not listen to it with kids, parents, or in-laws in the car. Also, if you’re not amused by profanity or irreverent sexual humor, skip this one.
- Last but not least-my shameless plug: I had to round out this list with a shameless plug for my own podcast, Lit Sh*t. My cohosts, Angie and Staci, and I read books and gossip about the characters as if they’re real people. We have a ton of fun making it, so I’m excited to share it!
Do you have any podcast recommendations? I’m always looking for new shows to check out! Hit us up on social media, or in the comments below. Happy holidays, and please stay safe and take care of yourself.