My love affair with summer berries continues! I cannot get enough strawberries right now. So far we’ve put them in berry rolls and a salad, but today I’m pushing it further with this strawberry and pesto pizza.
I feel like there are two camps of pizza lovers. There’s the traditionalists-their go tos are the meat lovers, margherita, pepperoni, etc. Then there are people who will put anything and everything on pizza. I am very much in the latter camp. I also LOVE a sweet/salty combo, so putting strawberries on a pizza sounded like a good idea. I wasn’t disappointed.
This recipe calls for a pound of pizza dough. If you want to make your own, this recipe from Half Baked Harvest is good. It’s also cool if you want to go store bought.
If you make this strawberry and pesto pizza, please let us know what you think! We’d love to hear from you, either in the comments below or on social media.
Strawberry and Pesto Pizza
For the Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
For the Pizza Assembly
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shreeded
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly grease two baking stones or cookie sheets.
- Make the pesto: combine 2 cups fresh basil, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup walnuts, and 2 tbsp parmesan cheese in a food processor and blitz for ten seconds until chopped.
- Roll out the pizza dough on your prepared baking stones or sheets. Spread half the pesto on each pizza, then top with the two cheese and the sliced strawberries.
- Bake the pizzas for 10-15 minutes until the crust is golden at the edges and the cheese is bubble.
- Meanwhile, combine the 1 tbsp each of honey and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl. When the pizzas are out of the oven, drizzle them with the honey/vinegar mixture.
- The pizza will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.