I’ve been really enjoying mangoes lately, on everything. I had this idea to make salmon with some kind of mango slaw, and this recipe for teriyaki salmon with mango-jicama slaw and coconut rice was born. The jicama adds a nice crunch to the slaw. Corn grounds the slaw flavors. The coconut rice rounds out all the tropical fun.
For the teriyaki sauce, look for pineapple juice without any added sugar. I used canned pineapple without any extra sugar and just saved the pineapple chunks in the freezer for smoothies.
If you make this teriyaki salmon, please let us know what you think! We’d love to hear from you, either in the comments below or on social media.
Teriyaki Salmon with Mango-Jicama Slaw and Coconut Rice
For the Teriyaki Salmon
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 salmon filets
For the Coconut Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
For the Mango-Jicama Slaw
- 2 ears corn (or half a cup of corn kernels)
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/2 cup diced jicama
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
- pinch each of salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
Make the Teriyaki Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Whisk together 1 tbsp corn starch and 1 tbsp water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup pineapple juice, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp maple syrup, and 1/2 tsp black pepper in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until boiling.
- Whisk in the corn starch/water mixture and stir until the sauce thickens, about five minutes. Remove from heat.
- Brush the salmon filets with the teriyaki sauce and bake for 35 minutes. Brush the salmon with more teriyaki sauce three times while cooking. Finish off with 2 minutes under the broiler,
Make the Coconut Rice
- Combine 1 cup basmati rice, 1 cup coconut milk, 3/4 cup water, and 1 tsp salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered until ready to serve.
Make the Mango-Jicama Slaw
- Cook the two ears of corn or 1/2 cup corn kernels, either on the stove or grill until charred. Combine the corn with 1 diced mango, 1/2 cup diced jicama, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds, a pinch each of salt and pepper, and a tablespoon of chopped fresh basil.
- Serve the salmon on top of the rice, topped with the slaw. The leftovers will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.