Happy Fourth of July Eve! I have a long weekend off work this weekend, so I’m using this as a mini summer vacation. I’m probably going to end up reading a lot, and I’m not complaining about it. Here are some summery things I’ve been digging lately:
- Since we’ve been cooking so much recently we’re finding we’re constantly running out of clean dish towels. I ordered this set of three dish towels from a shop called Peace + Riot. I love how summery the colors are, and I’m a sucker for dish towels with recipes on them, like the lemonade towel.
- I recently discovered the podcast Sooo Many White Guys, where Phoebe Robinson (of Two Dope Queens) interviews guests who (mostly) aren’t white guys. I usually don’t love interview shows because I get tired of hearing the same answers to the same questions from every stop on a celebrity’s press tour, but this show interviews guests I probably wouldn’t hear from 1000 other places so the interviews are really interesting. I always start podcasts from the beginning so I’m currently listening to episodes from 2016, but they still feel poignant and extremely relevant.
- Greg and I finally got around to watching Frozen 2. Cue us walking around the house, singing, “Into the unknown. Into the UNKNOWN. INTO THE UNKNOWWWWWWWN.” Also, I absolutely love Olaf.
- I have several crocheting projects I’m working on, so I’ve been rewatching the Great British Baking Show. I’ve seen it so many times that I can pay attention to my crocheting and still keep up with what’s happening. I also have a growing list of challenges I want to try. I made the torta settevelli technical challenge a few weekends ago, and it was my first time trying a mirror glaze!
- I’m always looking for new vegetarian and vegan recipes to add to my repertoire to try to cut down on the environmental impact of consuming meat. I recently made this Sweet Potato Black-Eyed Pea Curry recipe from Sweet Potato Soul, and it’s definitely getting added to our regular dinner rotation.
- I’ve been shopping a lot of smaller businesses and Etsy shops lately. There’s a jewelry artist named Sara Pfau who makes necklaces with pendants shaped like northeastern lakes. My family spent a lot of time in Vermont in the summers when I was a kid, so I bought the Lake Champlain pendant necklace after wanting it for forever.
What are your favorite summer finds? Do you have any podcast recs? Do you know of a good source of vegetarian or vegan recipes? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below, or connect with us on social media!